How can branding be helpful? It can:
• Clarify or highlight a product’s or organization’s most distinctive advantage(s).
• Rally employees around the organization’s mission or vision.
• Improve an organization’s profitability, market share or market value.
• Create relationships with customers.
• Make promises to or covenants with customers.
• Overlay an attractive personality on an organization or its products and services.
• Entertain customers.
• Make an organization or its products or services more likeable.
• Simplify customer choice.
• Help create healthy relationships with and the loyalty of customers.
How can branding be used in a way that harms people or society? It can:
• Accentuate people’s fears, phobias or insecurities.
• Contribute to increased cravings or addictions.
• Sell people goods and services that they really don’t really need.
• Be the “lipstick on a pig.” That is, it can be used to dress up an inferior product or service.
• Create strong desires for products that are actually harmful to people or society.
As I think you know, branding can be a very powerful tool. I hope you will use your branding skills to benefit people and society and not to harm them.
Sponsored By: The Brand Positioning Workshop