Sunday

Brand Champions Meet in Boston

Boston-Skyline

This Sunday I will be co-facilitating a session at the American Marketing Association Symposium for the Marketing of Higher Education, along with Joe Donovan from La Salle University. The topic that we will be presenting is internal branding. For those of you who know me you are aware that I have been advocating the process of engaging internal stakeholders in the brand development process since day one of my experience with brand development.

Like most industries, higher education has embraced branding for a number of years, and like other industries most of the focus in the past has been external. That only makes sense. Communications and marketing professionals are taught in college to target external audiences and develop a campaign to connect with the target audience. Those days are rapidly declining. First of all organizations do not have the resources to spend on expensive advertising campaigns. Secondly, most people don't like those approaches any more and traditional channels like print advertising are going away.

From my experience the internal piece ensures effective outcomes of recruiting and retaining brand champions. I look forward to sharing my experiences with those in our session, and learning from our participants. I also look forward to visiting the cradle of higher education, the City of Boston.

Rex Whisman

Brand Champions Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment