Thursday

Brand Champion of the Day- Art Clokey, Animator

Clokey_art_cp_7645523

As someone who has spent most of my career working with artists and designers, my attention is always drawn when I hear or see that one of those talented people has passed, especially when their name is Art. Such was the case a few days ago when I learned that animator, Art Clokey had died. Most of you probably know Art for his creation of legendary characters Gumby and Pokey. What you may not know is how those creations and others came to be, and what the Art Clokey brand will forever stand for.

In the early 1950s Clokey was a student at the University of Southern California. His creation of Gumby and Pokey grew from a student project there, which were later produced for the famous Howdy Doody Show. Despite the character's popularity, Clokey prevented merchandising of doll version of Gumby. Clokey was quoted as saying, "I didn't allow merchandising for seven years after it was on the air because I was very idealistic, and I didn't want parents to think we were trying to exploit their children."

Art Clokey created a legion of followers for his characters, and numerous brand champions for his work and his standards. For his mission and core values, Art Clokey is the Brand Champion of the Day!

Rex Whisman

Brand Champions Blog

BrandED Consultants Group

No comments:

Post a Comment